Social Story: I Can Be Flexible at Home!
Use this social story to help your client or child understand how they can be flexible at home! Flexibility is an important skill for a child’s overall independence and adaptability. This child and parent friendly material explains how to manage changes in daily home routines.
How to Prepare?
- Print on heavy cardstock or laminate for durability.
- Following the line in the middle of the page, cut each page in half.
- Bind the pages into a booklet or use a hole punch and binder rings.
- Cut out choice icons on page 12 into individual squares, and attachVelcro adhesive to the back.
- Attach Velcro to blank squares on page 6.
- Work with child to select sensory regulation choice options that work best for him/her! Attach these to blank squares on page 6.
- Store other choice icons in resealable baggie, or on Velcro strip attached to back of book.
How to Use?
First, create the social story with your client or child by filling in the blanks and adding pictures. Then, read the story with your client or child before activities at home that may require flexibility. Reading the story after the desired behavior occurs helps reinforce positive social engagements.