Social Story: I Can Go to the Dentist!
ABA Therapy, Activities, Speech Therapy, Activities, Behavior Management, Social Communication
Due to the stay-at-home orders in response to COVID-19, our office is currently closed. Orders will be shipped from our office in Chicago, IL as soon as normal operations resume. We know you’re eager to receive your apparel, and we're grateful for your patience during this time.
Use this social story to help your client or child understand the routine of going to the dentist! Trips to the dentist can often feel unfamiliar or scary. This material will prepare your child for success with step by step descriptions and choices for how to navigate this experience.
How to Prepare?
- Print on heavy cardstock or laminate for durability.
- Following the line in the middle of the page, cut each page in half.
- Bind the pages into a booklet or use a hole punch and binder rings.
- Cut out choice icons on page 17 into individual squares, and attach Velcro adhesive to the back.
- Attach Velcro to blank squares on page 14.
- Work with child to select sensory regulation choice options that work best for him/her! Attach these to blank squares on page 14.
- Store other choice icons in resealable baggie, or on Velcro strip attached to back of page 14.
How to Use?
First, create the social story with your client or child by filling in the blanks and adding pictures. Then, read the story with your client or child before it is time to go to the dentist. Reading the story after the desired behavior occurs helps reinforce positive social engagements.