Social Story: I Can Transition!
Use this social story to help your client or child understand how to transition! Transitions between activities or room changes are oftentimes upsetting and can cause stress. This material prepares your child for transitions they may encounter throughout their day and explains how to use effective calm down strategies.
How to Prepare?
- Print on heavy cardstock or laminate for durability.
- Following the line in the middle of the page, cut each page in half.
- Bind the pages into a booklet or use a hole punch and binder rings.
- Cut out choice icons on page 13 into individual squares, and attach Velcro adhesive to the back.
- Attach Velcro to blank squares on page 9.
- Work with child to select sensory regulation choice options that work best for him/her! Attach these to blank squares on page 9.
- Store other choice icons in resealable baggie, or on Velcro strip attached to back of page 9.
How to Use?
First, create the social story with your client or child by filling in the blanks and adding pictures. Then, read the story with your client or child before scenarios where there may be multiple transitions, like school or extracurriculars. Reading the story after the desired behavior occurs helps reinforce positive social engagements.