Social Story Starter Kit: When My Body Is Moving Too Fast
ABA Therapy, Activities, Speech Therapy, Activities, Behavior Management, Social Communication
Due to the stay-at-home orders in response to COVID-19, our office is currently closed. Orders will be shipped from our office in Chicago, IL as soon as normal operations resume. We know you’re eager to receive your apparel, and we're grateful for your patience during this time.
Social stories are evidence-based therapy materials that use positive, simple language and personalized pictures to explain concepts, goals, environments, and routines. TMV’s product, “When My Body Is Moving Too Fast” was designed to help children with sensory processing challenges understand why their body may feel a certain way, and how to achieve what their body needs.
This social story is a great tool for therapists, teachers, and family members alike to give a child with sensory processing challenges effective calm down strategies.
How to Prepare?
- Print on heavy cardstock or laminate for durability.
- Cut out choice icons on page 11 into individual squares, and attach Velcro adhesive to the back.
- Attach Velcro to blank squares on page 8.
- Work with child to select sensory regulation choice options that work best for him/her! Attach these to blank squares on page 8.
- Store other choice icons in resealable baggie, or on Velcro strip attached to back of page 8.
How to Use?
First, create the social story with your client or child using the provided activity icons and your own pictures to customize the story. Then, read the story together to prepare the child for times when he/she might experience sensory discomfort.