Social Story Starter Kit: When My Body Is Moving Too Fast / Too Slow
Social stories are evidence-based therapy materials that use positive, simple language and personalized pictures to explain concepts, goals, environments, and routines. The above product features social stories, “When My Body Is Moving Too Fast” and “When My Body Is Moving Too Slow” to help children with sensory processing challenges understand why their body may feel a certain way, and how to achieve what their body needs.
These social stories are great tools for therapists, teachers, and family members alike to give a child with sensory processing challenges effective calm down strategies.
How to Prepare?
- Print on heavy cardstock or laminate for durability.
- Refer to the dotted lines to cut out choice icons into individual squares, and attach Velcro adhesive to the back.
- Attach Velcro to blank squares on page 8.
- Work with child to select sensory regulation choice options that work best for him/her! Attach these to blank squares on page 8.
- Store other choice icons in resealable baggie, or on Velcro strip attached to back of page 8.
How to Use?
First, create the social story with your client or child using the provided activity icons and your own pictures to customize the story. Then, read the story together to prepare the child for times when he/she might experience sensory discomfort.