Go Fish: An Activity for Targeting the Production of /ch/, /sh/, voiced /th/, and voiceless /th/
This activity highlights everyone’s favorite Go Fish game featuring uniquely designed playing cards. This material specifically targets /ch/, /sh/, voiced /th/, and voiceless /th/ across all word positions. Cards may be organized to target initial, medial, final, or mixed position of words.
- 26 examples of /ch/ words across initial, medial, and final positions.
- 26 examples of /sh/ words across initial, medial, and final positions
- 26 examples voiceless /th/ words across initial, medial, and final positions
- 14 examples of voiced /th/ in initial position, 14 examples of voiced /th/ in medial position, 6 examples of voiced /th/ in final position
*Blank cards are included that may be used for clients or clinicians to write their own words.
How to Prepare?
- Decks are separated by sound and across positions. Each deck is further separated by a page of “Go Fish” cards that will function as the back of each playing card.
- Begin by printing the word playing cards (e.g., shower, show, shamrock, etc). Then, place these cards into your printer tray with the images facing up.
- Print x amount of “Go Fish” backs. The backs of the cards should align with the word playing cards. Amount will vary based on how many words you printed.
- Print and laminate for long-term use.
How to Play?
- Deal cards to players. (For two players, each individual should receive seven cards. For three players or more, each individual should receive five.)
- Place remaining cards face down in the middle of the playing area.
- Encourage clients to use their best speech as they ask, “Do you have _____?” If the corresponding player has that card, that player must give the card to the individual who asked. If the corresponding player does not have that card, they are encouraged to say, “Go fish!” That player then picks up a card from the remaining deck.
- Continue to play until one player runs out of cards or the remaining deck runs out. Whoever has the most pairs wins!